Project : SHIFTA

Shifta powered by Ruvheneko is a Web and Mobile App for delivery services.

Tools

Papers, Miro, Milanote, Adobe XD, Adobe Illustrator, Google meetups, Zoom.


Project Summary

We were to create a service that provides a dependable, flexible and delightful delivery solution for SME’s and individuals that are into buying and selling products.
The aim was to build a more intuitive and smarter system to significantly reduce handling times and the propensity of human error to facilitate a better experience for customers and users.

Roles

User Interface & User Experience(Interaction, Visual design, Prototyping & Testing, Information Architecture)
I was brought on board as someone with significant delivery experience to shape the project and the Agile process.


The Challenge

  • The whole team had fulltime jobs prior to this project starting. So none of the team members were flexible enough to commit 100% to the project.
  • A landing page with more information about the product vs a CTA landing page, was also debatable within the team.
  • The information for setting up a delivery flow was a bit complex, to fit the whole process on one interface on the dashboard.
  • This whole project was done remotely since all team members were in different locations.

Experience Map

  • I created an experience map to visualize and further understand a small business owner’s (Sally) experience of acquiring a sale and the hassle they go through to deliver a product. In this scenario, Sally just got a call from a customer ordering one of her products, the buyer saw on Sally’s Facebook page, where she markets her products.
  • This mapping method gave me a strong understanding of a user behavior and emotions during this experience. It’s clear that mixed emotions are prevalent throughout, and this map was key in pinpointing areas of opportunity to improve Sally’s experience.

Sketching

The designs below are a first draft. Further iterations of the design would be guided by the results from the formative usability tests.

Solution

  • I conducted my own usability test because research resources were unavailable. I apprenticed with research to develop a protocol and mechanism to analyze results.
  • In terms of setting up a delivery flow, we eventually settled on a progress bar with 3 stepper stages.
  • After conducting research we realized people like to know about the product before putting their trust in using or purchasing a product, so we resorted to adding information on the landing page about our services.
  • Optimized for mobile as the target market was 20-50 year old entrepreneurs/dealers and research determined they were likely to be browsing whilst at their point of conducting business or when commuting.
  • Price was a key motivator for purchase for the target market therefore it had be prominent and accessible with minimal customer input.
  • Due to lack of flexibility, we agreed to have weekly meetings to touch base on each one’s progress and google meetups, zoom, emails and phone calls were used as means of communication and presentation.

Learnings

As with any project, there were some things that worked well and others that didn’t.

  • The last but not the least thing I learned was a genuine interest in the work you’re doing will be the biggest motivation. Since we had other commitments outside the project, we had to work at odd hours to accommodate the progress of the project but the team’s passion in this project was so motivating that we didn’t mind that schedule at all.
  • Communication was also key and I also learned that detailed presentations during meetings, would help eliminate a lot of back and forth during tasks executions.
  • One of my biggest learnings from this project was that how well a team works together really makes or breaks a project.
  • Being able to explore without getting attached to a particular design was very helpful for us to think objectively.